Monday, August 23, 2010

I Was Chosen

This morning, as I trudged through the bedroom like a wounded animal, my husband said, "Honey, are you ready for your day with the kids?"  I said with frustration in my response, "Of course not!  It's Monday and I don't wanna go to work!  The kids aren't trying to be there either!"  He replied with sweet sincerity, "You were chosen for those students and they need what you have to offer.  You may not be teaching the kind of students you are used to teaching, but these kids need you and you were chosen for them."

I had to stop in my pity-tracks and think...He's right and I need to realize working within my purpose may not always be so warm and fuzzy!

I left for work today feeling better than I had felt all summer.  I no longer felt that sense of frustration that taunted the joy of my morning, but I felt inspired and encouraged to do what I have been "chosen" to do!

Upon arrival in the classroom I am teaching in for the summer program, I discovered that, since my departure on Friday afternoon, someone had come in and thrown papers all over the floor.  Since the classrooms remain open from 7 a.m. until 1 p.m., this could have happened with little or no notice.  And quite honestly, even if someone had noticed, I'm not convinced anyone would have cared enough to stop them.  Oh well, I thought, clean it up, and get the room ready for the children who I have been chosen to serve!

This day was unlike any of the previous 15 days of summer school.  Today, most of the students said, "Good morning" and meant it!  Today, I said, "Good morning" in return and meant it.  Today, the 7 students who were absent saved all of us a few headaches.  Today, the 10 students who came to school really wanted to do their work and make me proud.  Today, I realized that my husband was right, and I was chosen to teach the 10 children who may or may not be so bright, so prepared, or so accustomed to learning. I was chosen to teach. Period.  That does not mean I get to choose who or where I teach!  I simply must choose to continue to fulfill my purpose!

No comments:

Post a Comment