Sunday, July 25, 2010

Whiteboard Reflections

This school year was particularly difficult and I have been reflecting on it this summer.  Many people who don't work in education think that summer vacation is the "three months off" that teachers are given.  Well, quite the contrary, this summer it's the few weeks off that I have been "given" in order to plan lessons for the next 180 days minus 7 furlough days (173).  It's the few weeks I have been "given" to figure out how I will manage the cuts on my paychecks while "enjoying" a whole week off for Thanksgiving this coming  November.  It's the time I have to decide which workshops I will take in July, which program I can teach for in August, and when the money will actually show up on my paycheck, because of course teachers aren't paid for at least 2 months after attending a paid training.
Basically, I am spending this summer "vacation" working for delayed gratification...every awesome teacher does this, right?  

No comments:

Post a Comment